R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a first time racer!?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 PM
gotspeed_2000
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For first time racers, especially at a new track, watch and learn the track. Where you can push hard and where to go smooth. Focus on driving your vehicle and not over cooking it to keep up our in front of someone else. Before you get to the track, make sure you charge the receiver packs, check the transmitter voltage and pack all your stuff before. Go make a check list of what to bring, especially if you have alot of gear. Also, try to find the "right" tire you have and bring it. Don't get caught up in the "tire" of the moment thing especially if this is your first race. Make sure you have some extra parts, especially the ones you know can break with you. Don't depend on the store or others around you. Check you vehicles for parts that might be broken or worn, change them before you get to the track. Make sure you have enough fuel with you. Some shops don't carry all the different fuel brands so make sure you have enough of your own with you. I use Byron's gen 2 and only a couple of shops sell them where I live. I have to always be sure to have enough for my own use.
Once you get to the track, prep your table and place things where you know it will be. It's really important to look at the track and visualize your race and your lines. Once there make sure to remember the other posts regarding the racing structure there so you know what to expect. Surprises are often frustrating and lead to mental stress you don't need, especially for a first time racer. Don't have high expectations, go there to have fun. . . not to earn a sponsership. Make sure to charge your reciever packs inbetween qualifiers, and be sure to turn off your transmitter too. Sounds like kiddy stuff, but you'd be surprised at how many times we get people looking for AA batteries cause they left on their transmitter or how they are rushing to charge their receiver packs cause they forgot to turn off the car.

Good luck and have fun.