R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traxxas Bandit
Thread: Traxxas Bandit
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
DARKWAV
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KROGOTH

The left tire (I think) wont stay one for too long. The nut unscrews itself and falls off. Lost a peice last night cause of it but luckily I was able to fabricate a replacement. (epic mechanic skillz :P) but it kept coming off after that. Im going to try and find a small enough lockwasher and see if that helps. Failing that I may try some loc-tite, but Id rather save that as a last resort.
Fasteners on R/C cars tend to come loose, particularly ones into metal parts, spinning parts, and links. Wheel nuts tend to come loose quickest, often in the period of a single run. You should periodically check your wheel nuts throughout the run, line every 10 minutes or so. You may find you can go longer than that on your car. I've also found that screws in the steering linkakges tend to work their way loose over several runs. Fasteners that attach static chassis parts together tend to stay tight, though some may come loose over a longer period of time if they are in a high stress area. Thread lock, the blue variety, is recommended for screws that go right into metal. If you decide not to use threadlock on those parts, I would be sure to check them every run

Just remember check wheel nuts during the run, also preflight and postflight your r/c. Intitially that should include screw checks each time. After awhile you'll have a sense for what items tend to come loose more frequently, and learn which fasteners you will need to recheck everytime, and which things you can check only occaisionally.