R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What good are wheels if they dont spin?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
OTE_TheMissile
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
For 2wd fronts, I always wished that more manufacturers adopted Losi's XXX-BK2 front style. Where the bearings are in the knuckles, and the spindle is hexed out like a 4wd front. No more bearings that are crushed from bolts/nuts and no more lost bearings when you take your tires off.
Originally Posted by pyro18t
I'm pretty damn sure that is exacaly how the Slash is setup. The bearings are in the knuckle, and then there's a hex on the spindle that the wheel mounts over. Unless I'm misreading what you wrote?
Yeah I'm a little confused as well, I've heard the terms "spindle" and "knuckle" used interchangeably to define the manufacturing term "front steering block" (although I consider a "knuckle" an element of pillow-ball suspension, like on a Maxx). The Slash's front stub axles spin with the wheels, and the wheelbearings are housed in the spindle. The stub axle takes a cross pin, the cross pin keys to a hex, and the hex keys to the wheel.

On Associated 2WD chassis the stub axle was keyed to the spindle itself with a hex, and the wheelbearings actually stayed with the wheel, making the axle motionless as the wheel turned.

But going back to the original post, yeah it sounds like you just have your wheel nut on a little tight. Don't be afraid to back it off a little bit, that's exactly why we use locknuts on wheels