R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GRP ENGINE HELP
Thread: GRP ENGINE HELP
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 06:46 AM
MattP
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
but grps are supposed to run 160-200... i dont tune by temp i do it by how it sounds and smoke, i temp it AFTER i finish tuning it. i have a race tonight so hopefully it goes well
I honestly don't believe any nitro engine should run at 160 degrees with a race tune but part of that is because I have never experienced it myself. I'm sure there are people who's engines run at that temp but mine don't. My non tuned grps's average around 210-220 degrees most of the time at the end of a tank and they are running excellent. I don't tune by temp either I just use the temp gun for a reference. I say tune it by ear and eye and let the engine do the talking. If it's running perfectly don't worry about the temp. Everything affects your temp from driving style, type of fuel, type of plug and heat range, track your on, body on your vehicle, outside temp, outside humidity, clutch setup, tire setup(whether your spinning tires excessively or overrevving)..etc...

In other words don't let everyone else tell you what "your" engine should be running at. Tune it to run well and have a steady stream of smoke and let it eat......