R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Here are a couple shots of the HPI R34 GTR. I have a picture of one of the full size race cars above. The big graphics lend themselves well to a one color paint job. There is plenty of additional black trim. So what's the difference between this body and the Sophia after having mounted both.

This body is taller especially at the front. In my experience this concetrates downforce at the front. There is nothing better than a big vertical dam to create vacuum behind it unless you care to mount an undercar diffuser. The front end also clears my Gen X 10 bumper. I was able to replace my chopped bumper with a full size stiff foam bumper from CRC. I think this is essential if you plan to run the graphite bumper underneath. It needs some protection. I only had about 3/16 of foam protecting this graphite on the Sophia body. This is not enough. I find in a recent reading of the roar rules that bare graphite bumpers are not allowed due to the chance of cutting into a marshall. Get a stiff CRC foam bumper to follow the rules and to protect your graphite.

Now at the back the top of the wing is exactly at the top of the body cab, but it is about 3/4 inch to one inch back of the Sophia wing. There is more rear overhang to this body. This is going to suit our outdoor track and 2s LIPO/10.5 powerplant a little better. Some serious speed will be developed on the 240 foot straight. Tacking down that rear end for the sweeper will be quite important.

Is this body better for 4 cell/13.5, probably not. There is a larger cross-sectional area and more drag, Probably more weight. If you run ballast this extra weight is not an issue, you just remove ballast. Don't kid your self, this tall body, tall cab and high wing are going to develop more downforce in the twisty sections than a low body. That is one reason I like the big oval bodies on our long outdoor track. This body is a good replacement for the oval body and is World GT specified.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI Nissan R43 GTR Resized.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	428332   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI Nissan R43 GTR 004 Resized.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	428396  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-11-2009 at 08:57 PM.