R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - World GT Body Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 PM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
Hi Rick,

I don't think you could be more off-base with that statement. The reason modified is too fast is completely different than why people want aerodynamics in WGT.

The idea of WGT has always been about putting a simple car on the track that people can drive. The more aero the better in my opinion, we are controlling the raw speed with the motor and battery limits. Why on earth should we make these cars harder to drive? Are you proposing we make everything as difficult as mod and have the only 12 people on earth who can do it race while the rest of us watch?

Sounds like tons of fun...

I guess in the end, if you want to race models then WGT isn't for you. Why are we still debating this? If you don't like it, move on. Lots of people don't care for dirt or oval but I don't see threads popping up about how we can make oval cars turn right so that 10% of the RC Tech population can be happy about something.

Nick
IIC was looking to emulate realism at slower speeds to distiguish themselves from the the 235 mm Pro 10 class and race scale models. I don't think the aero advantage comes into play in WGT as much as we want to think it does. The cars are just too slow to take advantage for the average club racer where on carpet, mechanical grip and setup are more important. I know a few drivers that could run a nicely painted egg crate and lap me twice. It is just proof that a good, short and clean lap with good tuning will always be superior to the latest gotta have body. The bodies will have to be stretched to fit the chassis, no way around that at this time and I can personally concede that. I don't think anyone is putting these in wind tunnels to seek the least resistance possible and the low nose and oversized rear wing is frowned on for the sake of realism as set forth in the rules. As for the IIC list, I do wish the list were expanded and more of the true GT bodies accepted. But again, this list of adopted rules still has to be managed at the local level. Any body that proves to be far superior and is causing a separation might have to be regulated.

And I agree there are only a few people who want to or can truly run a Pro 10 mod 235 mm chassis properly and competitively. They are made for the open paved outdoor course for pure speed. Completely different bird altogether from World GT. I think there is a lot of confusion and hurt feelings when others say pan is dead and this is the comeback or revival. Well, in most cities in the US it is dead for the 235s just for the reason mentioned above alone. We want inexpensive, durable, fun and somewhat realistic racing. I see arguments from both sides trying to force everyone to agree. But the more I read the posts, the more I go back and read the rules. Love them or hate them, its your choice to use them.