R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ron-thanks. Any pan car will do. Make the rear less than or equal to 205 mm, Front engine rear drive bodies rule out the NSX and 911 Porsche. Check this Nissan R34 out.

World GT Rules - Petit Lemans variant

My count is 5 racers. We need a few more.

It looks like this is the electric class that is going forward at Mikes. We have 5 racers now. We need a few more to insure viability.

The attached PDF list acceptable bodies, body height, and wing size. Since we are running an outlaw power train, then we can decide which rules to run. We have the option of 6 cell weight.

Weight- I suggest 42 ounces. We can make the car lighter with LiPo, but this is one case where a heavier car gets down through the dust better to gain grip. At this weight you will need a little ballast. This will let you run a good foam bumper and maybe the Heavier GFR body posts. It will let you run a 3 shock rear instead of having two dampers in the rear.

Front tire- I have run the CRC spec front tire on a wide pan and a narrow pan at Mikes. On a wide pan it works great and has super grip. On a narrow pan you will find yourself spinning out from too much front traction. I suggest a variance here to run any foam front tire. Spec rears from CRC, Jayco, or BSR. I have tested the CRC rears and they were super. (I want to avoid exposing yourself to an acre of superglue fumes as you glue up both sidewalls on the spec front tire to make it stiffer). I reccomend a BSR (purple) front tire. The black rim is a good match to the CRC spec rear wheel.

Motor-We will have a 240 foot straight. The straight at the Snowbirds was about 75 ft. You can see where a little more power might be helpful at Mikes. If traction is an issue we can sugar water the track. Traction should be good on the new asphalt for quite a while though. Novak SS 10.5, You are welocome to use up your supply of 19turn motors. (That is the 10.5 equivalent). Please don't buy a new brushed motor as we want everyone on a spec motor as soon as possible. I ordered a Novak Havoc with the SS 10.5 novak motor to use on my World GT car. My Gen X 10 car will be bone stock to race.

Battery-2s LiPo (7.4 volt) Orion 3800 graphite edition or temporarily any of the smaller Orions. I have the 3800 Orion. Note the mains can be 6 minutes. You are welcome to use up your old supply of 6 cell NiMH packs. Please don't buy new NiMH packs as we want everyone running the same Voltage pack as soon as possible.

Bodies- these are listed on the PDF below. Basically there are to be bodies of cars that run in Lemans (or Petit lemans) type of races in the GT2 or GT1 class; that is 2 door sports cars. The Sophia I pictured above is popular right now. Second the Corvette C6. (I personally like the big oval Nascar bodies on the big layout, we can discuss using those).

Chassis- I listed the Manufacturers of new chassis up above. Don't forget that a pan car has not really changed much in 30 years. The old chassis in your closet or that of your buddy, will work fine. Associated 10L3T, CRC Pantoura, Speed specs, ets. I have quite a few spare parts on hand to keep you going. If we get good numbers we will refill the pan car pegboard. Stormer hobbies has been really good about keeping common pan car parts available. All you need is a part number. Associated manuals are downloadable now to get part numbers. I have copies in the shop. Lefthander-RC has a good supply of pan car parts that are used on both oval and road course.

I also have a spare Road car chassis that I can build up that you could borrow for a month or two to get you started.

Electric Oval
If there is anyone that wants to pick the electric oval back up, we have made a very good spot for oval racing on the new layout centered on the big drivers stand right in the middle of the track.

Track Progress
Wont be too long if the weather holds up. Paving work may start this week.
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
World%20GT%20rules%20-%2009.pdf (88.1 KB, 408 views)

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-22-2009 at 11:41 PM.