R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RTRs that are any good
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
markr04
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Mike, Dont let anyone change your mind about buying a RTR...I think It's a mistake if you are new to this hobby to start out investing $1200+ when your not even sure if you have the time, patience, money, or interest for this hobby yet..Try it out with a RTR..There is sooo much to learn, so much to do, so much to spend...This hobby is 50% work, 25% money, and 25% fun, and you need to make sure you like it enough to invest in it..I started with a RTR, and the more I got into it, the more I upgraded...Dont forget you can do a little at a time..( start with servo's) Once you have a true picture of whats involved, then you can decide if you want to go all out...you can always sell your RTR, or keep it for parts if you buy the kit of the same car..
plus one.

I have been club racing my 8ight-b RTR for months. Everything is stock, aside from tires and the servos. I only changed the servos out recently. I race in the sportsman class and I usually place in the top 3, out of 9 or so racers. There's another guy who races an 8ight-b RTR at our track. He will be moving up to the expert class... and still racing the RTR.

All of that said, I just bought an 8ight-b 1.0 kit to replace my RTR. My RTR is not broken, but I wanted to use my truggy starter box on it and the shock towers are beginning to bend a bit. With the low cost of the 1.0 kit right now vs. upgrading the RTR, it made sense for me to get the kit. I'll have a lot of spare parts to take from the RTR if I need them.