R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SoCal Raceway~
Thread: SoCal Raceway~
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2001, 09:54 AM
TPhalen
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the compliments....the board is in continual change, so, check back every now and then. I'm trying to get as much helpful info out as possible. If you guys have any suggestions, let me know!!!

Actually, after every race I rebuild the motor (mod)...EVERY heat race, that is! got to keep it fast! Normal tools; small screwdriver, lathe, motorspray, soldering iron. Stock motors require a little more work...but, basically the tools I have listed on the site!

The washers. That's ANOTHER story. It is important as to where they go. The idea behind the washers is to center the arm in the magnetic field in the can. To do this, you need to shim the motor. Best way to do it....

1) Remove all shims
2) Slide arm into can, and replace the endbell
3) From the 'can' side, pull on the arm shaft. If it 'pulls' toward you, you need to shim that end until it pulls toward you a VERY LITTLE BIT...maybe 1/16 of an inch. You will need a tiny play, but as little as possible.
4) After shimming the 'can' side, replace the endbell.
5) From the 'can' side, PUSH the arm shaft up. If it 'pushes' up some, you will need to shim the endbell side. Again, you want a teeny tiny bit of play....as little as possible.

After you've done this, the motor will sit pretty close to center in the magnetic field. It sound kind of complicated, but, after a few times, it'll be totally simple.

Hope this helps!