R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Here is a pic of the baby Watts link I constructed and the double Link that it was built on. The Original goal was to put a ballstud in each end of the part which would have made a very flat arrangement. The dimension of the part was too long so I ran ballstuds out the front of the part. It would have needed a reverse cone washer which is out of view on the back side to keep the rotation of the center restricted to a geometric plane.
I had absolutely no room in front of the center post due to center mounted batteries, but it might work in some other application.

Next is a picture of a double ended carbide 82 degee countersink from McMaster.com. It was advertised incorrectly as having a .082 tip leading me to believe it was a center drill. Happily it was just a countersink, as I broke that brittle .082 carbide tip off in my mind about 10 times before even receiving the part in the mail. (No chuck runout or endplay would have been tolerated). This should stay sharp in my shop for a long time. A M42 cobalt steel or high speed center drill (I posted the part number previously) should supplement it.

This 1/8 chucking reamer below the part is meant to be turned in a drill. I plan to align the holes in the upper CRC A-arms with this tool. You must align or open up the holes until the arm falls free from gravity alone or you will loose valuable traction. The main problem seems to be a slight misalignment created as the plastic cools. This is probably indirectly related to that first brace on the A-arm being farther away from the inner hinge pin holes than previous versions of this arm.

I ran the new 3-link in the Driveway. Things were going very well. I ran mostly an oval. Started with 69/23 gears and a 10.5 motor. I had an expansion joint to test those stock rear springs which are now being used in bump and rebound. They stayed in place.

The rear has good roll stiffness. It will slide out if you corner too sharp. I reduced dual rate and steering endpoint. It was driving very well. Then as most guys do, I gave it full throttle and it darted right into the weeds flipped over and killed the little driver.. Ready for a test on the big track. New driver is hired on.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Watts Link.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	423475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Counter Sink and Chucking Reamer.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	423476  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-28-2009 at 09:15 AM.