R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New EFRA 7min Qualifying Rule
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 PM
rcfoolz
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
"In the interest of the sport, and according the intention of the rule "
i really think this rule is going to make the sport unobtainalbe for any unsponsored racer. if these rules end up here in Australia, i feel it will push most out of any contention to compete against a sponsored driver.
really if one cant make 5 mins, then they are already pushing the boundaries of the engines performance to meet the runtime. if one only has to make 3.5 mins before a refuel, then you will see motors pushing a huge amount of power designed to run 4 mins max. this means incase of a problem with an engine, you will have to have at least 2 qualifying engines (then the boundaries will again be pushed ) and at least 2 Finals engines that are designed to make 5 mins. its hard enough to have one fast engine that makes 5 mins for most, and a back up engine would be a stock engine.
it wont be ling before the 7 min ruling will be pushed to the limits, people runnign out of fuel in 3.5 mins, now how long are those motors going to last.
i think in the INTEREST OF THE SPORT, if one wants to push the 5 min boundaries, then so be it. most make 5 mins , or more, so i cant see why a rule change is required to accomodate people with an endless budget and a BIG box of motors at any one event.
just my concern on how i see the rules changing the face of nationals or international racing.
This can be argued in two ways.
But first, what was the reason to go to this format? I think that maybe the fast guys couldn't make the 5min run time with what they have already.

I think Engines have been pushed to the limits of known materials now.

The old thought that you have to have an expensive motor to go fast, I don't buy into that. Fast guys are always going to be fast. Some of the fastest engines that I have owned were bone stock engines.

But when you go to a high level event, like the Worlds, the fuel is handout, and you have the option of running whatever enigne you choose....Should they also be handout engines from the manufacture to limit the cost to the racer and level the field? Afterall, they are trying to become the "World Champion" Right? If you have qualified to go to the Worlds, you would think that you would deserve a little extra incentive. Have the engines pre ran-in and boxed. Don't you think that the manufacture would send the BEST, FASTEST engines they could? If you burn them up, your done. (WOULDN'T THAT BE THE WAY TO GO.....we all know that won't happen.)
Now, on another note, just a few weeks ago, I was about to be passed by DJ at the Winternats in the "A" and when going down the back straight at wide open throttle, just being passed, trying to follow him, (I was standing next to him), he sais "don't get right on my back bumper" as it looked like he hit 3rd gear....(do you think that he just pulled the trigger a little harder) and pulled about 20 feet on me........ Now I will say that DJ has always been fast, but now with Novarossi behind him, "FORGET-IT", your just racing for 2nd place......He is just that fast!