R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Electric 1/8 Rules Debate
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Miller_Time
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Calling people stupid is always a great way to get your point across.

I've been racing electric 1/8 for about 6 months now, on some of the largest tracks that exist (The Farm 2 and Badlands for examples). No one has ever set a buggy down on the track that will do 70mph or even 50 for that matter. It's just not going to work on a dirt track regardless of the size. I ran a hotter setup than most because I was running 5s lipos on a 2100kv motor when most were running 4s. That put my top speed about 5mph faster than most, and I still doubt I ever exceeded 40mph for more than a second, about 2/3rds the way down the longest straights.

Marshalling 1/8 scales can be dangerous, period. Nitros are still 7+ lb vehicles with metal chassis that will cause damage at half their top speed if you get caught wrong. It's a part of the hobby, you race - you marshall.

Originally Posted by party_wagon
You guys are stupid & iresponsible if you do not want to accept the fact that these buggies are already dangerous to marshall for & even more dangerous if they go faster. If you have to reach for your punch control then going w/ a 2.5 on a 4s lipo should not be an issue for you. Just because you have no throtle control skills doesn't mean an experienced 2wd buggy driver can not lay down 5kw of power on a good day. Just because they are an experienced driver doesn't mean that they will hit their line & not hit a section of the track wrong sending their buggy flying at a marshall. If you think dodging an 1/8th scale at 40mph is tough then try dodging one at 70 mph. I'm going to assume that the people who are trying to make the safety isn't an issue argument also send their little kids out to turn marshall the truggies too. If you don't fix the issue at the start then it become much tougher to fix the issue later on down the road. If you are curious as to how much more energy a buggy carries going 60mph instead of 45 mph then think about this. A buggies energy is proportional to the square of it's velocity. This means that a buggy going 70mph will hit with more then double the force of one going 50 mph.

So, here is why there should be a limit.
safer
longer run times
longer car life
less wear on track
nitros can compete so small tracks can run the classes togather.

I figured this thread could get started up since people will do anything to win since they already do it anyways. Exspecialy when a paycheck could be riding on the outcome of their performance.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ml#post5469536