R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Indoor Carpet Racing in St Louis
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
chensleyrc1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TfnG
so...im new to this on road stuff also. not sure which class i should try...1/12or touring car? is one considered easier to tune and be competitive?

also, the motor and battery topic. i wanna run 17.5 class...and i wanna run a brushless motor. what are my options in each class?

and finally, will the track be open for road course practice any day of the week?
I think you should start in 1/12th scale. 1/12th will be easier to drive and set up, and you also get to race for 8 minutes, but you do have to run foam tires. You can either run a 17.5 brushless motor with a 4cell NIMH battery, or a 13.5 brushless motor with a single cell LiPo. These will run in the same class together as they are about the same speed. LiPo will be easier to maintain. The cars I recomend for LiPo are the AE, BMI, or the CRC. You could run a 12L or XII (T-Bar Cars) if you run the LiPo on one side with the electronics on the other, and maybe a little weight to balance the car. But if you run 4cell NiMh any of the cars are great. There will be more new racers running 1/12th than TC so you won't be the only rookie running. Just remember when you run, some of us have been doing this for many years and the talent level and knowledge in road course in this area is second to none! So don't be intimidated by some of us, we are really there to help the new guy, and get practice ourselves. So if you have a question, don't hesitate to ask. This has been the main issue I have seen in this area in carpet racing, new racers get scared because they see the equipment and skill of some of the top racers and feel like they can't compete, just remember we were all rookies at one time, and the only way to get better is to practice!

TC rubber on the other hand is a little more expensive to start in, and a little harder to drive, but you can run 17.5 motor with a regular LiPo with no problems, plus the tires will last longer. TC's are harder to set-up and maintain, plus they hit the walls alot harder.

And I think they are going to leave the road coarse set up most nights, but I'm not for sure. I imagine at first that is what will mostly be ran.