R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
rc pete
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradwant2gofast
I just bought a cyclone s rtr a couple of months ago. this is my first touring car. I am running in a class where we run sidewinder 4600 and lipos 7.4v 5000mAh packs. my interal is 2.4375 and i run a 42 pinon and 96 tooth 64 pitch. We are racing on a tri-oval. What I wonder is what spur and pinion combinations are you all running. wide open people are pulling away from me. any info would be appriciated.
You should be getting enough power with 4600 NiMHs and 5000 lipos, if they're in good shape. Are you running the included closed end-bell 27turn motor? The power package in most RTRs is great to get you started, and usually low maintenance, but it won't be as competitive as aftermarket stock motors out there. Check to see what the quicker guys are running at the track, and also where they gear them at. Stock motors have different powerbands (either torque based or RPM based) and to get them to run properly they'll need anywhere from 7.5 to 3.5 FDR (Final Drive Ratio).

Also, whatever the quick guys run for gearing, start a tooth or two lower, check your temperature and work your way up from there if the motor is running cool. I gave my FDR out to someone with 'ham-hands' and they cooked their motor in 5 minutes.
The other thing you'll get with a quicker motor (brushed) is more maintenance. With agressive brushes you'll be rebuilding it every two runs. With less agressive brushes you may get a few runs.
That's the beauty of a brushless system... no maintenance.