R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is RC a "Sport" or a "Hobby"?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM
JEFFRO503
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
I'm not offended that you're arguing against R/C being a "sport", as I really don't care whether it's considered a sport or not, but I think you painted R/C people with a big brush.

I'm an avid R/C guy. I'm in relatively good shape for a 36 y.o. engineer. My job isn't physically demanding, unless you count the high amount of stress, but I'm a very active person - I'm not one to veg out in front of the TV.

You said something about getting into dirt bikes, softball, etc. or people missing out. Your statement kinda sounded like R/C racers don't do those things. I don't know a whole lot about other R/C guys, but I'm physically active in spite of my long hours of nerdy work and long-ish hours in R/C. I actually enjoy marshaling, too, and I think it shows to the other drivers. I run fast to people's cars and I'll run all over the track if I have to.

I played tennis on my high school and college teams, I still play tennis, I still ride BMX, and walk/run frequently. Part of your post gives me the impression that R/C guys are generally out of shape.

R/C is a hobby to me personally, not a sport. Perhaps I misunderstood you, but I'm a little taken back by your strong words in that part of your post.
I never intended to paint the RC crowd with a brush....if that's the way it sounded. I'm an "rc guy" too. The point , and only point i have been trying to make is i don't call RC a sport....and i did race quite a bit. I have met some of the coolest people i know in RC , and that's a fact. I'm just stating my opinion on weather i think RC is considered a sport , since there is no real athletic abilty needed to do well.

I'm sorry if my words offended anyone , i never meant to do that. Just stating my opinion of the "sport or hobby" aspect of this thread.