R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 PM
gubbs3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
The main difference is that with brushless, all your experimentation is done on track instead of over a dyno and a com lathe. Just as much work involved but it seems like less since your doing it on track.
Just for the sake of argument (and a break from studying for a midterm) that the work done on "tuning" brushless motors is only seemingly overwhelming to some people is that it is a brand new technology. At every big event there is a new speedo or new software that requires different timing and gearing and the simple fact is that no one knows what the best combo is. Give any veteran racer a handout motor and a box of brushes and springs and he will almost instantly know what combo will be fast. But how long did it take that racer to figure out which spring/brush/cut combo work best? Years.

Get ready for the the long haul to learning folks. Anything new doesn't come easy. If you want to go fast you'll always be tuning something. The benefit to brushless is consistency. Once you find that great combination, write it down. Then you will have exactly the same power every time you set the car down on the track.

For me personally, I still have the original Sphere and the only motor tuning I do is gearing up or down a tooth.