R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 10th touring losing popularity?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 AM
tc3team
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by HarryN
You know, this is how the hobby was like for me when I first started in the 1/8 nitro buggy scene. There was some real a-holes at the track I raced at and asking advice was like asking to have sex with their wives/GFs/SOs. Then I went to the 1/10 on-road scene. It was a much better atmosphere, but still, there was some a-holes to kill the scene. But overall, it was a much better atmosphere. Then I switched over to 1/8 on-road. Talk about competitive. It truely is the F1 of on-road racing and forget about asking advice. Unless you knew a team driver or were sponsored, no one was going to help you. Then I joined the 1/5 scale crowd. Much nicer people with only a couple playful a-holes. However, barely anyone raced that class due to expense (which I still wonder how the class is expensive when we spend that much more on TCs and definitely a ton more on 1/8 on-road).

Now I am in the electric TC (and soon to be WCGT) scene and race at a well established track that has a wide selection of cars and parts with very wonderful people. I am happy enough with the place to advertise the track in my signature for all to see. Currently, I am the stubborn one since I am trying to gain back my coordination and driving skills I once had. The one who hated the a-holes has suddenly started turning into one... oh the irony! However, one person already spoke to me about it and I will relax a bit more and actually listen and learn over again.

This is a tough hobby to get started in. You have a-holes in the hobby that really do not do this hobby an iota of justice. Then you have stores that charge an arm and a leg. You have Branded cars that charge an arm and a leg for a mould that they all share to make the more common parts. You have super competitive people that really do not mean to be a-holes, but come out that way just because they want to get their money's worth and win. It's tough. The worst part is purchasing a car and equipment to begin with.

As far as this hobby dying, I don't think so an it is kind of unfair to say that at this point in time. We are in a very bad economy that is predicted to get a lot worse before it gets better. I am pretty sure the hobby will see a very slight surge once the economy picks back up and people have money to spend again.
+1 on all that.

I've raced sedan in the UK since off road cars had wide on road bodyshells on them (they were the closest we had to sedan before Tamiya started making them) and i've seen a wide range of people in my time, from the guys who I simply wouldnt want to talk to because of their attitude problem or smack, right through to the guys who will happily chat to you about setup, or just general chat.

I now race at a club where I can chat with anyone and they will chat back, jokes are cracked off left right and centre and i'll never know why I stopped racing there in the first place, many years ago! Same faces, same good times...

For me, the only reason I can see why people hide their setup is because they are afraid of getting beaten... If anyone asks me about my setup, i've got nothing to hide.

With regards to the guys who really want to win and seem to be super fast and consistant.... For me, it is better to have a few guys like that in the club, than to have a win handed out to you on a plate- it really feels like you have achieved something when you win against them.

Especially so when the track is super tight, with sick grip, as you really need to be disciplined with the throttle and the steering, one false move on either and you are either grip rolling by carring too much speed into a corner, or T boning the board.