R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
jhautz
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I am pretty set with the motor braking. Use brakes very little and the RC8T has so much steering its insane.

I went ahead and ordered the Kings headz pieces, CarolinasRC told me that they will have them in stock next week. I did order some more of the ends though just in case I decide to go back to the tubes on my RC8 as that is where I got the parts from.

Looking at your pic, maybe what I am seeing is a slight optical illuzion or something. its like at the very end of the motor mount closest to the chassis mud guards, on mine it has a very slight curve. Will post and get opinions.

One tip for those with the RC8T RCM conversion, what how your attenna pokes out the body. Mine was fairly stiff antenna and someone came down on it I am thinking and managed to slightly bend the plate the reciever was sitting on. force was enough to breake the antenna, I will from now on just let her dangle as its a nomadio tranceiver and it has that covering on it already. Just an FYI for those with long antennas
Doesnt look bent in ral life. I think its an optical illusion.

As far as the antenna, I just curve the tube and keep it under the body completely so its not sticking out and in harms way.

I might try the RTR braces too if the King Headz turn out to be too stiff and I loose traction.

Here is the best top view photo I had. the mtor mount doesnt look bent from the top view here.

Originally Posted by Speed_Freak_039
Thats a sweet setup. How much that run ya? Is the RCM motor mount modified or his regular one? Just a new to plate then? I have a eight but maybe he could make one.

Also what FP battery is that? 1800?
Thats a 5s 4350 FP pack in the picture.

Yea, standard RCM motor mount with the custom top plate and mini servo. They arent that expensive, but I'll let Mike quote the prices. Also you will need the brake spacer for the motor to make room for the brake disk. See the part I have attached to front of the motor that allows the disk to go between the motor and the motor mount. Its installed in the picture above and here is a picture of the part by itself on a motor so you get a better idea of what it looks like.

One note... you need a very high quality mini servo to work this setup. I tried with some cheaper ones and didnt get enough braking power and the servos burnt up after not too long. This JR servo really holds up well. I ran one in my XT8 truggy all last summer with no issues.

Another note, this configuration doesnt work very well for a buggy cuz it hits the body. if you want to run this mini servo in a buggy you should look at doing something like the picture here. This is how I had it set up in my XT8, it puts the servo in front of the center diff rather than off to the side but it requires using a funky lever arm in the linkages. I'm sure there is another way to do that too.