R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho VoneR Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 02:00 PM
AMGRacer
Tech Elite

Default Re: Shock Oils

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
At our last race meeting, I was experimenting with limiting droop to the barest minimum in order to try a different approach to keeping the car flat. We are still using the stock (black) springs, kit oils and with bars set to softest all round. The track is medium size, medium traction and technical.

During the first heat, the car looked terrible. This was a 20ºC day and we were using 35/35 tyres as per the previous weekend when it was 12ºC - a wrong tyre choice.
We changed to 37/37 for the next heat and the car was a lot better but became rather "skatey" as the heat progressed. This was not all that unexpected, but I figured the experiment was worthwhile. The interesting thing that came out of this was on checking over the car, it seemed there was little or no spring damping. I presumed the shocks had "gained" some air so took them off to check. The shocks were fine and not spongy, so I could only deduce that the kit oil was suffering from the heat and thinned out somewhat. I'm guessing a bit here as I thought that silicon oil was relatively temp stable. If I'm correct the kit oil works out to be 45W or something.
Anyway, I replaced the front oil with 60W and re-set the droop to normal.
During the last heat the front was fine but the rear was still bouncing a bit more than I thought it should.

So yesterday we ran with 80W front and 60W in the rear, taking a cue from finchy's set-up somewhat. This worked pretty well, I thought and really tamed the car making it easy to drive. To look at it another way, it may also have taken the sharp edge off the handling. I put this point to my driver. He just said that if the car's stable, he can push it harder. That's not much of an answer is it? - I s'pose there's more than one way to skin this cat.

Anyway, it was all good enough to win the final yesterday.
Dexter was in second, so a good day for the Evo's.
I should note that two of the fast guys were away yesterday - one at the Nat's and another at the off-road state titles, but hey!
Who's Your Daddy
Interesting that you guys like the harder oils. I personally went for 30/30 and it makes the car VERY VERY responsive. Actually it is quite tough to drive, but feels oh so sweet With the 80/60 the car should be very "chuckable".