R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to Electric & got a few Questions!!
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
avrcguy
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teflon
I'll have to try the Bfast one next time I went and ordered the one AVRCGUY suggested. I looked at the Bfast one after wards and couldn't find a $20 set up and couldn't find pics to see if the $15.99 one came with everything that avrcguy said I needed.

I got the spread spektrum with lipo cut off GTB being mailed on monday!!! I also ordered a 22t pinion as the stock spur gear is a 81t on this buggy. I hope that works well with the bush less novak 13.5 I have coming.

Still a little unsure on the proper break in and setting and rebuilding of the tranmission but I have the manual so I'll give it a shot. I almost want to pay the local hobbie shop to do it all so I dont fry the motor or something stupid but then I wont learn how to do it on my own. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I'm a fish out of water here!! lol

All electric guys that go to 1/8 scale are sooo fast right off the bat and I started with 1/8 scale so I figured to go electric to learn throttle control.. Backwards but Im trying!

Thanks for all your help guys!!!
I think you'll find that you're gonna be pretty far under geared. A larger spur gear means lower gearing. Just remember that a larger pinion means more speed and for the spur it is the oposite.

When I started out it helped me to think of how the gearing on my 10-speed bicycle as a kid worked. The gear on the pedals is the equivalent to the pinion gear, and the gears on the back wheel are the equivalent to the spur gear.

BTW. Don't worry about cooking anything. When you run a Novak motor with a Novak speed control the entire system has a thermal protection. If either the motor or speed control gets too hot it will shut down.