R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to Electric & got a few Questions!!
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 AM
avrcguy
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teflon
First off thanks for helping in advance! Im brand new to electric and bought a used B4. I need to rebuild the transmission as it is not very smooth when I rotate one rear wheel. What parts do I need to buy to do it?

I am going brushless and wanted to know about the novak spread spektrum 2.4 GTB. I was told to buy one with a 13.5 brushless Novak motor. I've been offered a non spread spectrum version GTB but I run a Futaba spks with the fasst system and wanted to know will the non spread spektrum version GTB work with my radio set up??

Also what gearing should I be running with the brusless 13.5 set up in that car. The gear that goes on the motor (like a clutch bell) and the spur gear (the big one)?? I dont want to over gear it and damage the motor (if that's even possible). I bought a 3800 orion 30c lipo.
Assuming that you already have carbide diff balls you can just buy an ASC7677 rebuild kit, ASC6588 Black Grease, and ASC6591 Diff Lube.

The standard GTB will work just fine with your Futaba. I have one that I run with my 3PKS. I actually have been happier with it than I have with my LRP Sphere Comps.

Gearing will of course be dependent on your track. I would recommend asking a couple of your better local racers what they run for gearing. But I would imagine that a 78 spur and about a 27 or 28 pinion would be a decent starting point.. Usually best to start a little low and work your way up. The best way to gear is to run the car for 5 minutes and check the motor temp. Ideally you want the motor to be around 160F at the end of a run. However...don't exceed 175F. If the motor is too cool step up to a larger pinion. If it's too hot step down.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your B4. It's a great little buggy!