R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of 1/12 scale
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Eddie_E
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PartTime
Hey guys. I raced the 17.5/1c last night.

I started with a .25 more roll than the 13.5. What a pig. No punch, very little speed but the car handled just like it did with the 13.5. It was a tighter layout so I had a little chassis tunning to do. I did have my 13.5 with me but really didnt want to put it in unless I HAD to.

Over the course of the night I went up a few teeth to get some power out of it. Played with the timming and the punch on the speedo. It got a little better. By the end of the night I had REALLY close to the same topend as everybody else but was down on punch. I got to drive a few other cars and they got to drive mine. I had the best chassis with the worst motor. LOL.

I ended up with a 3.48 roll out for the main but think it can carry a little more. I have to get some more pinions. Think Im gonna leave the 17.5 in for another race or two to see what I can get out of it. It was getting pretty close to everybody else. Maybe some more testing will bring it up to speed but, dont think it will ever catch a good 17.5/4cell car.

DK
Everyone at our track is above 3.5" for rollout on the 17.5 motors on our mid size track. I don't know your track, but I would say I could run at least 3.6" even on a tight track with my Novak 17.5 setup. The sweet spot for my Orion 13.5/Tekin setup was where you are now. The single cell lipo seems to like a lot of gearing. We haven't found an exciting setup for 17.5 as it will always lack punch. I really like the way the 13.5 feels , but the 17.5 is like a dead fish. On the other hand, I had a front end setup issue last week and it probably kept me from banging up the car.