R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 808 or MBX6 and their driving styles/handling
Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 AM
tex1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Either of these would be good...

Personal preference will let you decide between the maintenance of the pillow ball or the spindle front end. I can personally tell you steering is not an issue. I have made both front end types steer equally as well. The methods are different but there is not limitation to design. It seems as though some of the hop up guys are starting to figure out the pillow ball stuff.
I can tell you there is no maintenance in the 808's front end.

The 808 is a little lighter but that is not always a good thing.

The Mugen is not the same as the 5R as far as durability goes. The guys that run the 6 locally are very fast. They have figured a lot out but they do not seem to be up to the old standards where you would never see the 5R break. The plastic and carbon is not the same as the old car. Before you reply.... I do plastic products for a living.

The 808 has great plastic but it develops memory. It will stay bent but it does not break. The bearings on the rear corners need to be watched after.

All in all both are great cars. The Mugen is the best bang for the buck kit for what you get in the box for your money. Adjustable and it comes with rims and tires to boot. The 808 is the most refined car that really stands out when you build it.

Performance - Either one can be put on the podium equally as well.

Luxury? - I'm not going to go there for fear of being flamed to death. Read the box.

One odd fact to note.... for what ever reason Mugen has chosen a layout where pipe selection is limited. These guys make them work but I think they have to bend the headers to get them in nice and tight. RB 2045s, JP-1s and others like this... forget it. You need small and tight if you go with the Mugen. Very narrow design.

Hope this helps.
TEX