R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
DIALED 1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
While I agree that our new young friend will be able to get parts for his 12L4 for MANY years to come, this comparison with the 12R5 is absolutely incorrect. You CANNOT install the 12R5 front end onto a car that has any of the previous Associated (or new CRC) front ends. The lower mount screw spacing is longer and it takes smaller head dia/different countersink/metric screws for mounting. I bought, I compared, I sold it on...I know.

For you as a beginner I make TWO observations that I SINCERELY hope you pay attention to:

1) if you're just starting out in 1/12 and think you're going to run mod you are in for a WORLD of pain. The previous comments about plentiful parts supply will be in immenent danger as you buy up all existing stocks to keep your mod car on the track. Do yourself a HUGE favor...don't do anything "stronger" than a 27T brushed motor. If you REALLY want to learn 1/12 the best I've seen is starting with a Silver Can Mabuchi or Johnson. Frees the car up enormously, maintenance-free, and allows you to focus on a) keeping the car between the barriers, and b) really learning setup and what affects these cars.

2) DON'T head out into the wilderness trying new/different/unproven combinations. If you start dicking around with 1/18 motors, etc, you're going to be spending all your time paying attention to stuff that absolutely will not be helping you as a racer. KEEP IT SIMPLE, use what works, and focus on a) keeping the car between the barriers, and b) really learning setup and what affects these cars.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the BST fora here and e-Bay are CHOCK full of cars being sold by folks who jumped in over their heads...

Darn skippy it's already happening. I went racing in two different states/groups than I normally race with in the couple weeks leading up to Christmas. Especially at the one location everybody was spending inordinate amounts of time with heads bent together "...whisper whisper whisper...new super secret firmware from Tekin...whisper whisper whisper...adjust timing to XX...whisper whisper whisper...new XYZ motor SMOKES the existing motors, going to have to sell the half-dozen motors I've already got...whisper whisper whisper". I kid you not. Remember how brushless was going to make everybody equal on horsepower? Remember how brushless was going to mean zero time spent in search of horsepower? Remember how brushless was going to cost SO much less? What a load of crap. There is (nor will there be) no equality...just how we make the adjustments will change (more on that to follow). The guys I was watching are spending EVERY bit as much time in search of horsepower. Now instead of lathes and dynos, though, it's laptops, USB cables and the internet. And cost less......now instead of several $30 motors it's several $80 motors. AND A LAPTOP!!

I shake my head in wonder.

In which case you're carrying a half ounce more weight to no performance advantage. If it makes you feel good about things, great, but dont' kid yourself that you've affected handling in any measureable fashion (at least positively...what you HAVE done is place weight at a much longer moment of inertia and the dangers inherent therein). The rear of the car sits on a solid axle. Any imbalance (within reason, of course, but allowing far more than your half ounce) is moot. The advantage to brushless pods is the enhanced serviceability getting the motors in and out more easily. The "weight centering" is marketing fluff. imho, of course, but when I balance a chassis I do so without the rear pod even attached.
I agree Scottrik u know what your talkin bout!
i rocked up at my local track to see the latest brushless setups chassis in
1/12 with (whisper whisper whisper shhh whisper)going on
Im sitting there with my purple D2 brushed motor and my 23 year old
Mugen 1/12
Qualifying starts and i kicked ass all over the track no one could catch me
i actually heard one racer yell out SOMEONE CATCH THAT BLOODY MUGEN
Come the finals i kicked ass again and won the day
The point im making is i learnt to drive 1/12 more than 20 years ago with a stock motor and determination of a bucking bull to win
I proved it to my self and to others on the weekend it doesnt matter
what car u got its a combination of skill , racecraft and persistence.
I dont think i crashed once all night thanks to years and years of practice.
Practice makes perfect not the latest lipo this and brushless that.
Like u said Scottrik no wonder there is all this stuff on ebay hardly used,
people have to put in the hard yards to bloody win thats what i did!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050026.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	411296