R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of 1/12 scale
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 PM
PartTime
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. Lets try this again.

The future of 1/12 scale looks pretty bright from here. For stock anyway.

I have been playing with the 13.5/1c setup for a month now. And loving every min of it. No more scratching my head trying to figure out why I have no power, or why it dumps after 7 mins. No more baby sitting batterys so they dont die between races. For the most part, between rounds all I do is clean the car and tires, charge the rx pack and dope up. Now its posibble to run more than one class or just bs with the guys.

Heres my take on brushless/lipo.

Brushless.....When it first came out nobody could get it up to speed. We figured it out and really got them to work. They have really close to the same power as a fresh built and tuned brushed motor but it runs like that all the time.

Li-po....when it came out it hit pretty hard. In sedan anyway. Everybody had great hp. Then you started to see the guys that could drive and setup a chassis start to run at the front of the pack cause now they had the hp to run with the guys that spent big money on packs and knew how to tune a brushed motor. Allmost nobody would give there secrects out on how to tune those stupid things.

Now we have 13.5/1 cell li-po powerd 1/12 scale. Some say its faster than 17.5/4cell. On average they are correct. These things are missles for a stock class car. BUT, if you ever go to a big race and see the really fast guys and wonder how they get there cars to go so dam fast? Batterys that we cant find, afford or just plain cant get !!!!!! With this setup EVERYBODY can have factory level power !!

I have had the chance to race a few of the truly fast guys. You know, the ones that can put it in the A at a big event? Guess what? I can now run nose to tail with them because I have the same power!! Whats that gonna do for the sport??

Answer? Way closer racing. A battle between drivers and not there wallets !! Chassis setup is still a big part of it but with pan cars its allmost a no brainer. These are the easyest and fastest chassis to setup that I have ever run. Yes Im new to pan cars but by the 3rd race I had my car perfectly dialed in. It leaves me wanting NOTHING in handling.

Mod is gonna need a bigger pack than the 4000 im running. But cant see why they couldnt do it on a 5000 pack. There doing it now on what, 4600 or 5300 round cells ?? They would need a cutoff to protect the pack from being drained too far but thats no big deal. Some one should have one soon seeing how they have them for 2cell now.

Weight.... Yes the 13.5/1c is lighter then round cells. SO WHAT ! The days of showing up with a box of tires to cut to the right size and throwing them out after 1 run are gone ! Ive had the same set of tires on my car for 3 races now. Instead of having to buy new tires every other race I can buy diffrent compounds to try once in a while.

In these ecomonic times, we have to cut cost were we can. In that asspect this is a home run !!

I guess if R.O.A.R. is driven by the industry it will take for ever to get a ruling on this class, or never. If they are driver supportive then we should hear somthing soon.

See you at the races.
DK