R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Psycho Nitro Blast II - The Relapse Feb 6-8 2009
Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
toolmbx6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Open letter from Oliver Aspinwall

Dear Psycho Brethren,

So here we are…. Just over two weeks away from the start of the PNB II practice session. Dave and I are in anticipation of an awesome weekend of fun with about 350 of our racing buddies. Hopefully you have seen (or will see) that the PNB is more than just a race. Dave and I envision the PNB as more of an event. Since having fun is really what this whole thing is about, in addition to the normal sick race, this year we are bringing live music to you late in the practice session as well as the Guiness world record attempt by Adam Drake and Alan Burton earlier in the day. The Psycho Girls will also be there.

We made every attempt last year to make the track and the event as fun as we could possibly make it. Hopefully you had a great time. No corners will be cut in our efforts to make the track as fun as possible this year also. We learned about the dirt last year, and although I personally loved the way the track turned out very rutty in some areas, we realize that not everyone shares the same feelings. With what we learned last year, we know that the track will not rut up the same way this year.

The Leap of Faith, although she lofted its RC vehicles in a seemingly endless majestic arc, she also claimed an unfair share of victims. She did not discriminate. She was ruthless. She didn’t care if you had a buggy or a truggy, or if you were a novice or a pro. She didn’t even care what brand of car vehicle you drove. She ruined TQ runs, she ruined good runs in the mains. She was a royal ……. Well, you know. It did make for a great show, but it was a bit too much for racing, so sadly she will not be the LOF as we knew her. (Sniff)

Do not be sad though. We have plenty of “air” out there for everyone. We actually will have a higher quantity of significant jumps out there this year than last. Just wait and see.

Everyone that experienced last year’s race learned just how hard it is to race this particular format. Ten minute qualifiers in and of itself is not necessarily that hard, but your pitman’s speed factors into your qualifying position. If your pitman is racing as he probably will be, the two of you need to figure out your race schedule and plan time to sleep.

Also, since this race is based on the best two of three in qual points, you certainly do not want to miss that third qualifier which may be at 3, 4, 5, or 6 in the morning. Not budgeting time for sleep was a common mistake last year. I, for one, can attest to feeling like a zombie on Sunday morning. I actually fell asleep on my feet while turn marshaling. True. A truggy flipped over at the entrance to the berm at the beginning of the straight. It was right at my feet, but my eyes were closed and I was sound asleep. He death-revved and woke me up so I eventually turned the truggy over. Sorry to whomever that was.

As I mentioned earlier, Adam Drake and Alan Burton of Team Losi will be attempting to set a world record distance for jumping an RC vehicle. Dave will be building the ramp in the next few days. The special Losi 8ight buggies have already been built and tested at over 70 mph. There are other modifications also, but I do not have the details to give you at this point. For those of you who will not be able to make the event, there will be plenty of video posted soon after the attempts.

I am tempted to continue rambling on and on, so I will spare you and cut it off here. I really do hope to see and talk to each and every one of you at the PNB II – The Relapse. See you soon Psycho Brothers (and Sisters.)

Best Regards,

- Ollie