R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 Conversion Batteries
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
eXraycer
Tech Regular

Just picked up a good deal on rclipos.com for a poly RC (Enerland) 3200 5s 30c battery. Free shipping to Australia was a bonus. http://www.rclipos.com
I needed another pack and found that most qualifying rounds at my club are less than 10 minutes so no need to run my heavier 4000 5s Zippy packs.

What I have found with the zippy packs compared to more expensive cells is that the voltage doesn't climb back up after a full discharge down to 3.2v per cell (16v for a 5s pack). Other racers using more expensive brands have posted that their 5s packs voltage will bounce back up over 17.5v easily after 10minutes rest from a full discharge. My Zippy's don't go over 17v. They have done this from day one so there's nothing wrong and both my Zippy's respond very similar, within .2v.

What this means? I don't really know - but I do occasionally have a failure to register the 5s cell count before charging. I beleive it may be because the V is too low. Occasionally I need to charge for a couple of minutes on a lower setting then stop/start it again to register 5s.

Overall the Zippy is a solid performer. Both of mine have worked fine and side by side with over 30 charges each they perform without any noticable difference between them. My cousin on the other hand bought two 4s Zippy's recently and had one which died after one run. I offered to open it up and check the soldering because it looked perfect but he preferred to send it back. This is where it gets interesting. The return process has been difficult from getting the right form to fill out to even getting a confirmation that they received the parcel. (Hobbycity). It's still in limbo. Not a good feeling!

EDIT: Hobby city has since replaced the battery with a new one although communication was very ambiguous. Didn't know the whereabouts of the battery till a replacement came in the mail.
I recommend you get tracking on your parcel if you ever send anything back so you can prove it has been received because they could never confirm this.

Last edited by eXraycer; 02-13-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: new information