R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
trickd122
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Lonestar has the right idea. The closer the upper arm (camber link in our case) gets to being equal length with the lower arm, the less camber regression (going more negative) there will be. When the upper and lower arms are of equal length it gives pretty much zero camber change. When you go shorter, it increases camber change (it goes more negative) as the suspension is compressed.

How does this effect the car? Longer will typically create more overall traction in the middle and exit of the corner, but it makes the car react slower intially. When you make the links shorter it increases initial grip and has less traction in the middle and exit of a corner. Higher traction tracks with a twisty layout will favor shorter camber links and lower traction tracks with a longer sweeping layout will favor longer links.

It does depend a little on where you are making the change though. What I just outlined is specifically when you change the camber link length from the bulkhead. The outer mounting position will have some different overall results when changed. On the HB Cyclone we have two different camber link mounting positions on the rear hub carrier. The inner one will make the rear end react really quick initially and have more overall grip through the turn. The outer mounting position makes the rear end of the car react a little slower, but it also reduces grip in the middle and exit of the corner. I use the inner position in most conditions, but with my foam tire carpet racing I've been testing a lot of, I have been liking the outer position a lot.

The angle of camber links also messes with camber change as well. Flatter links will give less overall camber change. They produce a little bit more initial grip, but for the most part they produce less overall grip through the middle and exit of a corner. More angled links will produce slightly less initial grip, but more grip in the middle and exit of a corner.

Hope that helps!!!

-Korey

Yes Korey it does help!

Now next question is the swaybar action or lack there of. I generally set my car up using the 1.2mm in the rear, the thin copper one. Now lifting one arm up almost has no effect on the other. Isn't this swaybar the pointless or am I missing something?

-Tino