R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Wide Pan Car Dual A-arm Front End
Most of you probably know that this is pretty much the standard type of front suspension on full size race cars. It has good camber control; it has low scrub (it does not rub the tire sideways across the track as the suspension moves). It is reasonably lightweight.

I can finally say I am finished with the progress of this suspension. I have made about 5 different front suspensions. The ones that worked the best had the shock end very close to the wheel. I tried one with a C hub typically found on TC, it was not as good. Never quite got it hooked up as well. All the others with the shock close to the wheel hooked up better. This one has the shock very close to the wheel. There is no C-hub to interfere with its action. either by friction or rattle. There is one custom cut top plate and two identical bottom plates to extend the lower arm. These pivot on our standard T-bar pivot balls. Kudos go to Quante for this part of the design. This suspension is far superior to my previous ones in that it has a very rugged lower arm. This sets the caster adjustment in stone. My previous suspension were a bit lacking here. A bump might not break the lower arms but it would bend them back a little and I would lose some steering. I think this suspension is actually ready for a manufacturer. Europe would be the market as well as wide pans in the US.
Those CRC red aluminum parts make it look really super nice to my eye. You might not be able to tell that it is just a homemade suspension.

I gave it a good test on the oval today. It was really ripping around the track with the CRC spec tires. Times were about .3 faster than my fastest oval cars. I ran it in both directions. Steering was super precise compared to the associated style strut front suspension.
The new shock position and stiff lower arms worked very well. There was plenty of travel to the suspension.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wide Pan Dual A-arm Front End Resized.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	407259  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-16-2009 at 08:39 PM.