R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 Magazine shoot out.
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 AM
rcg33k
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by captain america
Hi Charles.

If your publisher's policy is indeed as described by you above, then let me be the first to tip my hat to them; it takes guts to stand on principle, especially when large sums of money are involved. I must confess that I probably haven't picked up an issue of RC/CAR since 2003 or so, it's surprisingly difficult to get at any of my local newsstands. Perhaps I should look into a subscription.
Perhaps they're selling out...

It would be foolish to assume that manufacturers don't try to influence magazines with their advertising dollars, but it's equally or more foolish to assume that because some magazines cave to that pressure, that they all do the same. In spite of the growing popularity of the internet, magazines are still a very important source of information as long as you can trust that the information you're fed is genuine and honest. I've been in RC for longer than any of these magazines have been in business and I have enough experience with many of the vehicles they test, so I have a good idea of which ones are calling it straight and which ones are licking taint to avoid the "call." RC Car has earned my trust as a magazine that still puts the reader first.

Forums like this one and others are strong evidence that magazines like RC Car still provide an essential service. Ask about the pros and cons of a product on any forum and the nut swingers show up in force to tell you that the product they own or the one that sponsors them is the best thing on the planet and that everything else is junk. Imagine being someone that's looking for solid advice on a forum?! Your head would be spinning from the 62 different answers to your question and the 478 pieces of advice that you didn't ask for. It's rare to find someone on a forum that has an ounce of objectivity. At least with a magazine that's earned your trust, you know what to expect and can be reasonably assured that what they're saying is based on a pretty broad knowledge base.

Mine is just another internet opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I like to think that my time and experience in the hobby puts me in a better position than most to judge which magazines are doing it right - it's a short list.