R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hole in tire vs. hole in rim
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 04:40 AM
wriffwraff
Tech Adept

Default to punch or not to punch, that is the question?

hello everyone. i've been into this hobby since early 2007 and aside from the stock wheels n' tires, that came with my cen matrix rtr truggy, i have zero experience with glued wheel and tire applications. hey, and that's b/c i replaced my stock wheels with maximizer beadlocks and proline crimefighters and bowties b/c i didn't want to deal with glue. however, i've always wanted to try the larger diameter wheels n' tires and i couldn't resist all the positive discussions and excitement around aka tires, so i bought a set for my cen matrix truggy, ibeams for the rear and cityblocks for the front. so far, i've mounted them up without glue just to get a look at them on the truggy. i really like the look and the feel of these wheels, tires and foams. plus, it's great to finally be able to run standards instead of offsets... my truggy looks leaner and longer now. also, the aka tires and j concepts wheels reduced the total weight from 11 lb 1.20 oz to 10 lb 5.60 ozs.

anyway, my concern and question rests with cleaning the tires. air pressure build up was never an issue with beadlocks, so i have never bothered to hole punch my wheels or tires. also, i could just take em' apart and wash the tire and wheel separately, so water damage wasn't an issue either. however, with the aka tires, as suggested, i've decided to go with one 2 mm hole in the centerline of the tires to address air pressure build up. so with that in mind, how do you work around the hole when washing them? i mean, besides using your finger, has anyone discovered another effective way of preventing water from entering the hole in the tire during clean ups? i was thinking of using silicon. you know, a dab of silicon to close the hole, allow the silicon to cure, then wash the tire, allow the tire to dry, then peel the silicon patch off.

Last edited by wriffwraff; 01-15-2009 at 07:00 AM.