R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Practice on a race motor?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
JAMMINKRAZY
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wick3dr00st3r
Ideally I'd like to learn with the C6 and just rebuild it when need be. BUT, my quarrel is, when I rebuild it will it perform like a new engine?

I've seen the rebuild kits for $169 and could probably get one a tad cheaper if I searched around enough. It comes with the piston, rod, sleeve, and some clips I think. What's the general lowdown on rebuilding engines?
You would also have to tack on bearings which are atleast $50. plus you would have to make sure the crankshaft pin is not morn out. if it is that would be another 100 atleast. also you would want to make sure all the rubber o-rings and seals are good. You would have to check the head button for pitting. in most cases rebuilding an engine is far from worth it. The total will probably come close to the price of a brand new motor.

I agree with BigAlz that you should practice with the motor that you are gonna race with, but I also believe it would be beneficial to have a learning/backup motor. Once you get the feel for tuning etc. put the c6 in and run that for practice and racing. Before that time comes just run the cheaper motor for everything.