R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Atomix
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Tom

I have to admit you made me nervous, but no, I dissassembled the whole thing yesterday and it was assembled properly.

I degreased all the way down to the last thrust ball, reassembled with AE black grease and stealth lube... it still was slipping a bit too much for my taste, but it's much better now it's broken it. Saturday is raceday, we'll see how it becomes after a couple of packs.

A couple of things are still making me nervous
1- I used the alloy outdrives. Where the "flat" is machined to lock the diff ring, there is a little "lip" which still shows where the old "circle" used to be (hope this is clear enough). I tried to sand it down to guarantee a flat surface for the ring to press on, but to no avail... This means the pressure won't be the same all around the rings, which means the rings will wear out at that very spot. this sucks.
2- when used "by hand" once mounted in the car, the diff feels ok (not xray ok, mind you, this is still miles away from my old car's (FK05) diff quality) when the right wheel is turned, but a bit gritty once you turn the left one...

Any perspective from our expert team drivers?

Thanks folks,

Paul
From my previous experience, i've always found that the diff slips too much when too much grease is applied.

I normally empty all the diff balls into a plastic parts bag & stick a dollop of diff grease in there, mix it all around so the diff balls get nice and lubricated, then remove each ball with a hobby knife & place into the diff pulley.

With the thrust bearing, be sure to use lots of black grease.

Dont worry if it feels a bit notchy in your hands. Run a pack through it at the track & it should break in nicely. Make sure you check the tightness after the initial pack to make sure it isnt slipping.