R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - carpet racing history
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Trips
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I forgot about Butch, lol. What year was that?

First comercially available car, do you mean gas or electric? And in a RTR package??
I didn't specify gas or electric on purpose... or RTR or kit. Just 1/12 scale...

Originally Posted by jag88
Anybody remember the Heathkit cars ? (or were they just local to Michigan ?)
I do. My very first RC car was the Heathkit Spectre powered by a Veco 19. Found it at a garage sale for $20 bucks, robbed my airplane of its two stick Kraft radio to get the car running. No electric starter, I used a leather shoelace in the v-groove of the flywheel to fire up the engine. By the time I got it I think the Veco was so clapped out I could run faster than the car, but it was BIG fun anyway. Loud, smelly, and best of all I was the first kid on the block to have one...

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Jerobee - powered by the Cox .049 First electrics I saw were conversions of the Jerobee chassis using motor and batteries hijacked from a Black & Decker rechargeable grass trimmer.
Thats the winner... The Jerobee Comando. I saved paper route and dog walking money for what seemed like forever trying to get one (from AutoWorld in PA... anyone remember AutoWorld?? For that matter, remember actually SENDING AWAY for stuff? Long before the age of "Buy Now" and "ADD to Cart"??) when I found that Heathkit at the garage sale, I HAD to grab it.

WOW I feel ANCIENT right about now...