View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Trips
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ian S
Ok, I'll bite

Delta is a greek letter that in engineering/maths circles means "change"

So delta peak is the change in peak voltage. The charger will cut off when the delta (change) in peak voltage has reached the preset value.
The greek letter delta DOES indicate change in math circles, but with that said, "delta peak" could be interpreted as "change peak." The letter delta doesn't indicate a positive or negative change, however, so I would have to say the "delta peak" would be the point when the greatest amount of change is taking place, at the beginning of the charge when the voltage is changing rapidly...

Your answer is technically correct, but it's not the one I was looking for...

Bullfrog hit it... the very first peak detecting charger marketed to the RC racing community was called the "Peak Detection Charger". It was made by the Delta company of Lorimor Iowa, back in the early '80's. On its face, it had the company name Delta, and the "Peak Detection Charger" product name. Not long after its release, several companies released peak detection chargers of their own, and misinterpreted the company name "Delta" for the math/engineering term delta, and called their chargers delta peak detection chargers. But the "Delta" in the name of the very first one was just the name of the company, it had nothing to do with the engineering/math usage of "delta."

One more trivia question... Who was the very first 1/12 world champion, and what car did he drive?