R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - A123/LIFE Batteries advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
linger
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Govert

Some A123 specs: 4600mah, 6.6V, maximum (advised) charge rate of
18AMPS.
The cells come in 3.3V, 2300mah. So what you need to do is connect 4 cells to make to whole pack 6.6V, 4600mah. So 2 sets connected in series and those 2 sets connected parallel (If I'm wrong, please do correct me).

My questions:

-Which charger charges with 10 AMPS or more and is reasonably priced (preferably with display!)?
-Do you really need to balance the cells and how do you do that?
-How do you connect (if needed) the balance cables if soldering my own cells?
-Some other tips and tricks or facts?? All are very welcome!

-Right now I use a MM Cell Master (not suitable for A123) and I have access to a Robitronic Overloader 1. Is this one suitable??

A lot of questions, but I hope most of them will be answered.
Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a lipo versus A123 or Sub-c discussion, becauce my mind is set on these cells because of the earlier mentioned specs.

Additional information: car: Tamiya TRF416, LRP Sphere TC.

Thank you in advance!

Originally Posted by Govert
Thank you for your reactions so far,

Hyperion looks good and is reasonably priced.
@ DLS II: Could you be a bit more specific please? What do you mean with MEC SPT? When I google it, looks like something with De Walt...I know that De Walt uses A123 cells, but are these usable?
@ Eddie_E: looks like a good charger, but would still like to charge with higher amp rate.

Any more suggestion or any other complementary information?

Thanks.
Hi Govert,
If you are planning to make a pack with the A123 cells, here are a few tips.
Connect two cells in parallel first, then connect them in series. The cells connected in parallel will self balance. If you connect in series first, you will have a balancing nightmare.

Concerning balancing - you probably don't need to balance A123. They are actually pretty good about absorbing overcharge while Lipo doesn't.

yes, the Dewalt packs use the A123 M1 cell - 2300 mAh.

If you get the cells with a welded on tab - Do not break off the tab since you need to solder onto them! The can of the A123 cell is aluminum and impossible to solder onto. If you are able to find Aluminum solder - it's incredibly weak.

And finally - since you have a 416 (I have one) - good luck fitting A123 cells (I have a bunch of those too) into that chassis. There isn't much room.

Good luck.