R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - WGT drivers only.
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
jubilee
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I came back into RC about a year ago. Prior my last go at it was a frankenstein-dual BL-Emaxx using NiMh. Prior to that it was a gold pan RC10 with NiCd.

NiCd and NiMh were a pain in my noobie butt. Memory, proper care, discharge, cycle, put 'em in the fridge with lightbulbs attached, etc. LiPo is awesome...don't fill it too fast and don't run it too low. Simple...so I think.

People new to the hobby (racing electric rc cars in general) are advised these days to run LiPo...at least that's the nearly 100% of advice passed to me.

My question(s): Is WGT meant only for seasoned 'rc vets' who started with and don't mind NiMh (or NiCd)? If so, then fine. But if WGT (or any other class) is to grow, isn't it possible the class could evolve? Why would a total noob (like me) buy into a class that's running on "old technology"? And if it's not "old" or there's "nothing wrong" with NiMh, why are most folks switching to or at least considering LiPo?

These aren't baited questions, I am admittedly clueless as to why anyone "new" would go spend money on batteries that only a few (relatively speaking) are using.