R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Drivetrain Weight/Mass - Does it matter?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2003, 03:17 PM
speedxl
Tech Elite

ok guys here it is from an ase certified tech.
for drag racing purposes especially the small bore engines drag racers install heavier flywheels to keep the engines rpm up between shifts and when launching to prevent stall which occurs in four cylinder engines and rotorys the inertia is needed for the lack of torque due to displacement.
for road racing they used lighter flywheels due to the constant change in rpms. plus the engines stay in the power band where the engine produces the most torque thats why the formula one cars rev so high to take off, so do the toyota atlantics.
i dont understand why you would add wieght to create a fly wheel effect on an electric cars especially all you have to do is trim up your throttle so when you let off power is applied to the motor as if you are heal toe driving in a real car . the car maintains momentum and doesnt unsettle when entering a corner .i use this especially when using a one way or running a 12.scale to keep up cornerspeed alot of guys that have made the a main used this method i used at the onraod nats and finished six in the 12 scale Amain and kevin mitchel finished 5 in the a main sedan stock class. this works extreemly whell on a stock motor which in turn is as if you were running a four cylinder engine and you dont want to bog it down, try it guys your lap times will drop i promise you. .