R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - To Much Slop on a Ring and Pinion
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM
justinlogue5_0
Tech Apprentice

Default To Much Slop on a Ring and Pinion

I have a savage but this tip should work with several differentials. Mine had so much slop in it that it grinded and slipped when you got on the brakes hard. Well it finally destroyed the ring and pinion. I ordered a new one and when I put it together it still slipped. To fix this I took a piece of 80 grit sand paper on a flat surface and after marking how much slop I had and removing the ring gear. You take the aluminum cup and holding it firm and flat on the sand paper you just keep moving it in a small circl till you get the amount you need removed. I then used a piece of 400 grit to smooth it out and then using a cleaner of some sort (soap and water or brake cleaner etc...) to clean all the gears and cup out. Put your differential back together and see hoe the gear mesh is now. You may have to sand more or if you get lucky like I did it will be perfect on the first try. I can now hit the brakes on my Savage and have it do front flips with NO slipping ,grinding, or noise of any kind. I hope I described it good enough. If not let me know and i will try to better describe what I did. Thanks and I hope this helps some one.