R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Castle Sidewinder ESC help
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
It worked great with my trusty Reedy 19 Turn Mod. I had just skimmed the comm and replaced the brushes and it was still running on the standard ESC configuration. I only re-wired to high-power mode to use the 12 turn.

When I rewired it, the 19 Turn didn't work properly, nor the 25 turn Tamiya RZ, or the spankin-new 12 turn Putnum.

I've been running GP 3700's, matched and unmatched packs. They are getting older, but still hold a good charge. They are side-by-sides with good battery bars.

I use Deans plugs for the batteries. I have the original Castle wires on the esc, never opened it, and deans 12g wet noodles for the other wires. It's all good gear.

I don't know what makes a motor spin off-load, but not under load. I can only assume it is the ESC, becuase i've tried everything else.
My next thing I would try if you have access is a 2S 7.4 lipo or a 4600 NIMH matched with high voltage. If I was testing that is what I would try. If it works with no load but don't under load that seems to me that it is pulling more voltage that what the pack wants to put out. This is what I would do for the next step.

It might seem like the packs should be good enough but a 3700GP is back a few models so they would not be at full strength and under load I'm sure they will be strained alot when compared to a lipo pack.

It is process of elimination is what it comes down to.