R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Rick thanks. I appreciate it. Same to all. Happy new year.

David- I thought I would detail this rear steer some more in case others are not following. Because the lower links are angled upward in my three links, there is a tendency for one to get longer with roll and the other to get shorter. This causes the links to make the axle become at angle to the chassis, and creates the roll steer.

There is an analogy at the front called bump steer. If you push the tire up through its full range you may find that it points outward with bump. This is called bump toe out. This is my preference to bump toe in. My cars usually have a little bump toe out. As the car rolls the front tire steers slightly to the outside and reduces the steering force. This makes the car behave well when it gets to a grippy spot in a corner. The car rolls a little more; the tire steers out a little to reduce steering. A spin is averted.

Now at the back I would think a correspondingly good trait to have would be bump steer out. This is what the wide pan has. When you roll it to the right, the axle steers to the outside of the turn. This eases up on your rear cornering traction. Should work the same as at the front in that slip angles are reduced on hard cornering keeping the car from gripping too hard. I like the way it feels on the track a lot on the road and oval car. I think you should still strive for big links that will not telescope in a crash, Long links if possible. Links that reach the axle if possible.

John