R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Are aluminum wheels the way to go???
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Nostrixoxide
Tech Apprentice

Default Are aluminum wheels the way to go???

Hi guy's,

I have what may be a strange problem I'm dealing with. I have a NTC3 with a OS.18tz & a MPPA electric supercharger that is powered with a lipo pack. I usually dial it in right around 240*. My problem is that if I full throttle it from a dead stop it breaks the rims.

This is not a joke, it really does just snap the center of the rims right off & the remaining portion of the wheel/tires goes shooting into the air about 10-15ft. It has not happened on any of the front wheels, but I've gone through about 4 sets on rear. I've tried several different kinds of wheels & the one's that tend to hold up the best are the factory 6 spoke rims.

My question is, is this common with NTC3 that are running .18 size motors? Is the torque to much for the chassis to handle & if this is the case am I pretty much stuck having to purchase a set of alloy wheels for it? I've never had the best of luck glueing tires to alloy, they always seem to seperate from the bead even when I rough up the inside lip of the wheel to promote adhesion.

Also, is there a better brand of wheel that I may not know about that has more material in the center to help reduce this issue. Now that I'm thinking about it I could try a solid wheel, but those don't really look to pretty.

Thanks in advance to any info you guy's can provide me...