R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR 1/12 weight limit
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
Jim,

I know he was respondinig to you, but I was responding to him... 200mah at 7.4v will make time. No problem, unless you drive it like someone who came up in the last few years. When I said we made eight minutes with 1200mah Sanyos, that was with 6 cells, 7.2 volt packs. Couldn't go much hotter than a 20 turn motor, maybe a 19 if you had a light trigger finger, but it was doable. We ran 2000mah Sanyos in 6 cell mod in Texas in 2000 and made eight minutes no problem. Fast as hell, too on super grippy asphalt. I think I ran a 12 or 13 triple. If you tried to rip for eight minutes you didn't get there. If you drove smart, you made it.

I'll stand by my position that anyone who raced 1/12 mod back in the day and made runtime then would be able to make time with a 13.5 on a 7,4 2000mah LiPO.

There you go. 1/12 scale was once a thinking game... it wasn't just about driving strapped from tone to tone. The nice thing about the days when stoick was the beginner class was that you started in stock and learned to control the car. Then you moved into mod and learned to control yourself.

No more. And the guys that weren't there will never get it.
To expand on what Fred B. said... It was more a battery game than it was a thinking game. Yes, better driving and knowing how to conserve runtime while driving was important. However, there were people that couldn't run mod simply because they couldn't get the cells they needed or afford the proper chargers to make sure the batteries kept their match. I can remember going into Arlington hobbies and Danny pulling out the secret stash of Danimals like they were some illegal drug. So yeah, I get it and was there. But I don't ever want to go back to it...

Lastly, checking to see if someone is running 2 cell vs. 1 cell lipo is so simple I fail to see why it's even up for debate.