R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI's DB12R
Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM
terryh
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Clegg
So I truly busted the first parts on my DB12RR today.

THe track I race at has a long sweeper after a 50+ ft straight. We are running 17.5/4 cell. I was running fast lap times for the first qualifier and lost composure (either I did or the car did) and hit the far wall in the sweeper pretty hard, snapping both flex plates.

So I figured "oh well - live and learn" So I went and replaced the busted flex plates since I had a spare set.

Went back out for the second heat - once again setting fast laps for the day (improved on my earlier fast lap by .2 sec)... and this time to pass someone who was hugging the line but was far slower than me around the sweeper I went inside and just barely nicked the inside corner and it cause the car to lose ballance and head into the same wall as before - this time it not only snapped both flex plates but also popped the pivot off in the center of the chassis. No other damage - but my day was over as I am out of flex plates.

The weird thing is.. this track has been setup like this for 3 weeks and I have run 3 weekends now, and a bunch of practice and never busted a part before... just a bad luck day. (and just starting to realize how expensive the flex plates are)

An order has been placed at BMI - now all I can do is hope they come in soon
Someone I know had the same problem, and he was the only guy breaking flex plates. Turned out he was doing the set screw up to tight so that the pivot ball couldn't move freely, next time he fitted new flex plates he loosened off the set screw just enough so that the pivot ball moved around freely and without slop, he's never broken one since.

HTH