R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 8t gears in a 8b?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 08:00 AM
tex1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up 8B with truggy gears...

Actually the 10 tooth (Truggy gears) input to the diffs means the center diff spins at more RPM for a given wheel speed (you can only roll so fast in the corners) when in the corners. This means the motor does not have to work as hard comming out. This is what makes the car feel more punchy. If you carry any rolling speed at all in the corner the thing will feel like a rocket when you apply power on exit.
However, when you are at a dead stop the motor will not spin the tires loose because of the increased ratio.
Losi has since come out with new gears that make it possible to go to this setup using their stuff.
The Losi 45 spur combined to the 17T clutch bell should be killer. 11.38/1 is a solid ratio to start.
You do not need as much clutch either. I ran 3 carbons with green on 2 and gold on 1 & one longlife aluminum on 1 gold spring. This clutch lasted for ever.

I have setup several cars for people this way and they have all said it was way easier to drive. Around the corner with speed... roll the throttle a little and you hit the jump. Done deal. Better fuel milage to boot. You just don't need to be on the gas as much.

This is why alot of other manufacturers are going to these mid 11/1 ratios.

Beware - For you newer guys to this stuff. The car will be totally different! Rolling and punching the throttle will be ballistic. From a dead stop it will be more mellow.

Thanks for really looking into this Casey and Billy. I gave up on it when discussing it with Losi in 07'. Good to see some eyes open up.
TEX