R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SMC 40C+ C-Max 7.4V Hardcase Lipos
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Danny/SMC
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A month or so ago I asked one of the guys who has been testing our 2200s in a 3D Heli setup to answer 3 questions to better understand what our packs do different than others he was use to.

Here is his answers to the questions. It sounds like an infomercial but it's what he truly beleives. The guys name is Art Hughes and he has his own website www.arthughesrc.com if you want to see some of his 3D flights.

Power compared to what you use to fly ?
- The output of SMC's is on a completely different level from anything else I have flown (and I have flown batteries from almost every major manufacturer in the hobby). Nothing comes close to what an SMC pack can put out. I'll put any one of my packs against anything else out there the difference will not only be obvious to the pilot, but to anyone watching. Even before you load the head, the SMCs have such lower resistance compared to the other popular packs, that it will increase your rotor RPM's by a few hundred at 100% throttle. Then when you punch out and load up the powertrain, things get even better. They hold higher voltages when loaded down and do not bog out like other packs. This lets you be more aggressive without having to wait for your motor to pick back up lost RPMs caused by inferior batteries.

Consistency of the power compared to what you use to fly ?
- The power is what you notice immediately, but the consistency is what you will appreciate the most from flight to flight. It is very disappointing when flying electric and you get a minute and a half into a flight, and the bulk of the power is gone. Just as you are getting warmed up, your power system is already letting you down. That is no longer a problem since I switched over to SMCs. I constantly find myself over-flying my timers now because SMCs are still putting out serious power at the end of a flight. It takes a lot of discipline to land when you have that much power still on tap at the end of a flight :-).

Cycle life compared to what you use to fly ?
- I have gone through a lot of batteries in the past.... and i mean a lot. I always charge slowly and take care of my equipment, so I just assumed that the short pack life cycle I had before was a property of high output Li-Po's in general when flying them hard. After 30-40 flights, my packs had lost that edge that made them fun to fly initially. I had some packs completely die because of a bad cell, and those that still worked, just didn't retain the power I needed. My SMCs have been a completely different experience. I have yet to have a single cell go bad or puff, even with over 100+ cycles on them, and the power output has remained consistent. I can't tell the difference between my original SMC's, and my newest ones, even though the originals are all well into the 100+ flight category.