R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There is one new pic of the fleet in my post above

Oval Car Ruggedness
Pejota-Well one car is mine-the other three are for sale at Mikes-HobbyShop.com, my home shop for a very reasonable price, two at $140, one at $160 with ballast and battery strap and electronics platform. The price increase over cost covers the sales commission of the shop. Phone orders are welcome. The goal is to grow the oval club by providing an inexpensive rugged car that I will buy back from local owners when the owner is done with it. Guys will usually move up to a premium car if they decide to stay in the sport.

Here is what I noticed. About the time the racer breaks the fourth graphite bumper or expensive graphite crossplate knife, he has decided it is too expensive to race. My cars all have a combination of hard but flexible under bumpers combined with a soft foam or the CRC hard foam bumper which I like a lot. The Manutech Kydex bumper described and tested on the CRC 1/10 pan thread would be ideal here as an under bumper. The Kydex needs that CRC hard foam (CRC 1759) bumper as well to protect its shape.

Instead of a solid aluminum body post which very effectively levers and breaks graphite, breaks the cross-plate knife (which holds the rear body posts), the cars all have soft body posts.

Rear Axle problems are reduced by the use of carbide ball bearings, Aluminum Nylock nut, and double clamping left hubs. Quality where it counts.

Trouble free performance outdoors from the use of 48 pitch spurs and recommended steel pinions. You get many events of use on a single pair of gears with the mild mod 13.5/Lipo compared to one event with 64 pitch gears and aluminum coated pinions.

all the cars will have a good starting setup tuned just for our LiPo/13.5 and our track. They will perform quite well after only a down tweak adjustment on the first day.

Instead of the traditional oval wing, I have a body on display with the much more rugged and from my testing more effective J-concempts 0100 illusion wing. I can't tell you how many cars DNF each race day because of a broken wing after a crash or finish poorly because those oval mounts are so wimpy and the wing moves after a minor crash. The broken wing is an expensive failure that need not occur.

The racer needs a rear side shock with a shaft that does not bend. He needs terminating hardware that does not bend when you lay on the downtweak. 12 ounces seems to be nice.

This is the car that beginners, or guys out of the hobby for a few years, need, to get back up to speed.

We will see if there is any action on the three cars.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-22-2008 at 04:04 AM.