R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of 1/12 scale
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 PM
SteveL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Really its allways been my opinion/understanding that brushless has much more bottom end thus the higher rollout needed over brushed. Not flameing just tring to understand your statment that brushless has less grunt in the infield.

Really I think that many posters that have expressed negitave comments or comments like leave 1/12 alone its not broken misunderstand the purpose of this thread. Sure changes will very likely happen in 1/12 but this thread is'nt about forcing a change to 1/12. Rather that some of us like to tinker; push the envelope so to speak and look at other alternitives and ways to do things. I have no problem staying with 4-cell nimh, but it would be nice to have a lipo or other battery alternitive avalible. Now as to why I like brushless over brushed; well I never was all that good at tunning a brushed motor and would much rather spend that time driving instead of wrencing in the pits. And if you do have an advantage in the twisties I'll just wave as I pass you on the backstraight with my brushless
The basis for my findings is from racing with Sean Cochran and Jimmy Peirsol this past weekend and I would consider both of them very knowledgeable. Both said that they felt like it took a long time for their brushless motors, both 17.5 & 13.5, to get back up to speed after having to let off. Sean also mentioned that you almost needed to have your car set up to be able to get around the track without lifting at a big race, at least fully lifting, as you lose too much time. I ran a 5 year old brushed handout motor and was easily faster in the infeild, but yes, they were both faster on the straight. In all lap time were about the same. Jimmy was running 3.7v lipo/13.5 and Sean was running Nimh/17.5.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to come out with new technology, just that manufacturers should try to keep it affordable to keep racers around and to get new ones in. There will always be those that what to spend whatever it costs to have the latest and greatest and that needs to happen when new products are being deleveloped. Just don't change the class to where an average guy gets run out because he has older equipment. For someone like me that's been in the hobby for a very long time, the cost to switch over to lipo and brushless is huge and could run some racers off. Not everyone has an extra $500 laying around to buy a new esc/motor combo, lipo packs and the chargers/balancers, etc. that are needed.

I guess I did miss the purpose of this thread and apologize for steering it off track. I for one look forward to the day when we have solar powered hovering cars that you no longer have to true tires for. I hate trueing tires!

Now back to your previously scheduled program................