R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SMC 40C+ C-Max 7.4V Hardcase Lipos
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
CarbonJoe
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
As testing C rate requires expensive equipment the Lipo manufacturers and resellers know this so they can claim any C rate as they know it's very hard to test. So some rely on this to claim higher C rates which keeps the cost down so they make higher profit margins and it makes there pack more marketable.

SMC was the first to release a true 28C pack and the reason why we called it 28C is because that is what it truly is. Our supplier which we feel makes the best performing Lipos with true C rate has told us that true 35C packs are fairly hard to do and the technology wasn't possible until recently. I also asked him how some can claim 5200 with 35C in the ROAR case size which limits the cell size and he told me it was impossible to make a pack with true 35C with 5200 in that case size. This lead me to buy one of these 5200/35C packs so I could test it.
Were proud to release info on our new 40C+ C-Max Hardcase packs.

The first 2 packs will be available by the middle of January.
We got 4 sample packs in last week and Donny got his on Friday.
Actual production packs will have a bit better runtime as were going with a slightly bigger case/cell to help capacity.
Danny,

Having received the samples just last week, you have chosen to advertise them for sale seemingly quickly. (No pics, case size TBA, etc, etc.)

What tests do these have to pass in order to be up to "SMC's standards"? Is it strictly output related (like the intellect cell) or have you implemented some type of testing to guarantee X number of cycles/safety out of these? I know the lipo sack adds safety to the process, but does that mean we are less concerned about what goes on inside there? Basically, is there any 'crash testing' being done?

With the case size needing to be enlarged, I can't help but think that we're already headed down the road of increased sensitivity in terms of usage practices, at the risk of reduced reliability.

I know your production was on hold with the Intellect cell while they took care of the safety issues plaguing that product. What has this supplier said/done differently to gain your trust, and assure you that you won't be bringing to market another 'disposable cell'?

I'm anxious to see how fast these are, but the jump started release, citing only output specs, has me feeling a bit embarrassed as a consumer. From your "False Lipo advertising" thread on 11/19, you stated that 35C cells were possible only just recently, and now (12/16) you have a 40C pack. Lipo tech sure must be changing rapidly. Will 45C cells be available on 1/15/09, 50C on 2/15/09, etc? I'm really interested to see the difference on the track, since we don't race GFXes.