R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I measure droop using a gauge under the A-arm, with both shocks and screws attached. Now, as I don't use blocks (I use a gauge that rests under the chassis) I can knock out the effects of the shocks/sway bars by pulling lightly down on the arms until they are resting on the droop screw. I hate with a passion using the lift technique, simply as too my mind it's too inaccurate, as you can't take into account any differences with tyre diameter caused by air gaps, and your relying on judgement (never good IMO) to tell when the car is off the ground. Having said that, if it works for you, fair enough

As Randy points out, your shocks should be long enough to allow for the full droop. This was a real probem on the first 415, where if you wound the shock end in all the way, you couldn't get the enough droop in the car. As a general rule of thumb, I tend to build my shocks between 61.5 and 62mm in overall length, this gives enough range to go down to 3mm on a gauge.

As for the sway bars... I actually use the droop gauge to set them up as well Basically, I'll set the drop links up equal length, then remove the shocks, and make sure the arms drop freely, and then set the droop eqaul on both sides. Then, with the bars mounted (as central as possible obviously ) I'll then raise one arm up using the steps on the droop gauge, until the opposite arm just starts to rise up. I'll note the figure, and then repeat on the other side... and then adjust the links until the arms raise the same amount each side.
For example if the left arm starts to rise when the right arm is on 7, but the right arm raises when the left arm is on 9, I'll either lengthen the the right hand link (to make the left amr raise on a bigger number) or shortern the left hand link (to make the right arm raise on a lower number).
I know it sounds complicated, but after a few goes it actually becomes fairly easy to figure out. It's the most easily repeatable (with reasonable accuracy) way I've found to get the bars equal side to side.

I'll try and get some pictures up, but unfortuantly my camera is bust so awaiting christmas to get a new one

HiH
Ed